Skip to main content

The Hunger Games - A Book Review

I've read the book and now I am totally stoked about the movie coming out this week!  The Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins, is on my 2012 Reading List and of course I had to get it read before the movie was released.  I decided to listen to this series using the audio version and once I started listening, I couldn't stop! Once I finished the first book I immediately had to get my hands on Catching Fire and then of course Mocking Jay, books one and two, respectively, in The Hunger Games series.  I absolutely fell in love with the characters and felt such sadness when they were competing in the Hunger Games and so mad at the Capital and the game makers for creating such a horrible event.  Of course, I am a hopeless romantic and absolutely adore Peeta and his love for Katniss and that he would do whatever he had to do to protect her throughout the games, even though at the end they both knew there could only be one survivor.  It truly is a wonderful series that I highly recommend for any adult even though it is classified as juvenile literature.  With that being said, I would definitely advise that you read the book first before allowing your kiddos.  The majority of the book is pretty violent, brutal actually, and there are some mature/romantic parts that kids of a certain age wouldn't understand.  My husband actually listened to some of the book with me and couldn't believe it when I told him I got it from the Children's Literature section at the library.  Even the movie is being released with a PG13 rating, so as a parent I would recommend to just keep that in mind when the youngins start begging to read it.  My age recommendation for this book is 12 years old and up.

Summary taken from Amazon:
"In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. Long ago the districts waged war on the Capitol and were defeated. As part of the surrender terms, each district agreed to send one boy and one girl to appear in an annual televised event called, "The Hunger Games," a fight to the death on live TV. Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she is forced to represent her district in the Games. The terrain, rules, and level of audience participation may change but one thing is constant: kill or be killed."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alas, Mexi Rolls

Could it get any better than this? Maybe, but not likely.  What are the odds that this small town in Wyoming, that we now proudly call home, has a Taco John's ?  Now, not everyone here has the same respect for the Potato Ole's, cheese dip, Pizza burger and Mexi Rolls that I do, mainly people that are from Texas and just don't understand the concept of Mexican fast food. However, all my Murray, Kentucky peeps who grew up with that six pack and a pound know where I'm coming from when I say Taco John's is on my "have to eat at list" every year when we travel back home.  And though we may not admit it, we all secretly get a little rage of jealousy when we read on Facebook about someone's trip home and they have 'checked in' at Taco John's. Or what about when somebody is on a road trip and they post that they have stumbled upon a Taco John's and they are now enjoying something out of that brown paper bag and then us folks that live in Taco

dirty feet

"Left foot, left foot, right foot, right...." d irty feet is more like it! how in the world can one little boy's feet get this dirty? and the funny thing is, he is soooo proud of them! b oys! d irty feet, pockets full of rocks, jars filled with worms.... everyday is an adventure around here. i couldn't imagine it any other way.

Superbowl Party XLVI

With the Superbowl only days away, and more than 100 million people gathering to watch the big event in their homes, my goal is to make your bash the party to remember.  The number one thing the Superbowl does is bring people together (which could be both a bad and good thing), so fire up the grill and break out the hot wings and cheese dip folks because it's time for some football! According to an article I was reading in a Billings Gazette  insert, there are some rules that you can follow to ensure your party-goers have a foolproof time. FOUR RULES FOR A FOOLPROOF TIME: 1.   Give guests a choice of party zones.   Who says you only have to have one viewing area?  Have more than one TV set up and tuned into the game.  One can be used for those die hard football fanatics who want to see every play and call of the game and the other for the chatters and snackers.  A basement or a media room would be perfect for the die hard fans and then a TV in the kitchen/dining or living spac